10 Statistics About Love and Relationships That Will Drive You Wild

Writing Services | Hyperweb Communications | Hyperweb.ca
Best Practices for Good Blog Writing
September 9, 2017
Can You Measure Trust? A Data-Driven Answer
Can You Measure Trust? A Data-Driven Answer
March 28, 2019

Since we’re data-driven, we wondered… what do the statistics reveal about love and relationships?

10 Statistics About Love and Relationships That Will Drive You Wild

There are loads of statistics about love and relationships out there, so we’ve curated some interesting tidbits to share with you. Enjoy and have a happy Valentine’s Day!

1. A whole lotta love

As of 2016, there are 8,227,925 total number of couples in private households in Canada. Slightly under 6.5 million were married couples, and over 1.7 million are common law couples.

2. You can’t hurry love

The average couple dates for 4.9 years before getting married. This is more than enough time to decide who has to take out the garbage, FOREVER.

3. Hallmark holiday?

30% of Canadians expect to get a gift from their significant other. The other 70% pretend like Valentine’s Day is a stupid, made-up holiday and seethe silently.

4. Celebrate good times

22% of Canadians celebrate Valentine’s Day whether they are seeing someone or not. The rest hit the stores the day after for ½ price chocolate.

5. She’s ‘the one’

Men are much more likely than women—48 percent vs. 28 percent—to fall in love at first sight. The recently-single woman who wrote this article rolled her eyes pretty hard after hearing that.

6. When Harry dumped Sally

Have you heard that half of marriages end in divorce? Not true… only 38% in Canada, down slightly from its peak in the mid-1980s. Man, the 80s were tough on everyone…

7. Playing the odds

20% of current, committed relationships began online. While your best chance at finding love is through a friend – which is how 63% of married couples say they met their partner–you still only have a 17% chance that you will like the person you're set up with.

8. Caveat emptor

53% of people lie on their online dating profile. 20% of women surveyed admitted to using an older photo on their dating profile from when they were younger and thinner. More than 40% of men said they lied about their jobs in an effort to sound more successful.

9. No love for ‘da club’

Only 9% of women report finding a relationship at a bar or club, and only 2% of men has made a relationship through that scenario. This is a surprise to no single person who has ever been to a club.

10. Second-chance love

About 3 in 10 of people aged 55 to 64 have experienced at least two unions during their lifetime. Among people aged 65 and over, the proportion was roughly 2 in 10. So, it’s an upward trend!